Over the past few weeks, we have debated about what we should do with our kitchen floor. It was old black-and-white spotted linoleum that was original to the house, so it was definitely time for an update. Many Saturdays were spent wondering the isles of Home Depot looking for inspiration. We found it with some excellent $0.59 a square foot porcelain tile. Score! Porcelain tile is usually much more expensive … we loaded up the rental truck and hauled several hundred pounds of tile back to our house.It is at this point I need to remind you of our yellow paint incident … our tile find did not escape the mystical color changing properties of our house. What once was tan now is pinkish puke color. Hmmm ... not so great and infact, I didn't take any pictures because it was so ugly. Well in the end we found a new tile that looks much better. After a cage fight with the tile… many cuts, bruises and twenty raw fingers, we conquered!
Here a look at our project and results … if you don’t think it looks better than the 1920’s linoleum, just keep it to yourself :)

This is our "before" picture. Notice the lovely appliance (and lack of others)

We started our project by tearing down all of the old, plastic tiles from the wall. They left us a present ... glue! Now we were stuck with glue all over our walls.

We then tore up all of the linoleum, which also left us a present ... glue! Only this glue and remains from the linoleum most likely contained asbestos. Although we found wood floors underneath, they weren't hardwood and everyone told us to not sand off the glue, or the "asbestos" would become airborne and toxic. As you might guess, that is what ultimately helped us in our decision to tile.

Now anyone that knows Don knows that he does anything 200% and some. So of course we couldn't just put down tile in a normal pattern. We had to plan, design and arrange the most difficult floor possible. Notice the smile on his face ...

Our planning involved chalking tons of lines to follow.

After the plans were made, we finally started to tile. Don was smiles the whole time, and this is me forcing a smile. We spent almost a week going to bed at 3 a.m. each night to get the tile done. If anyone wants to know, this is true love.

After the tile project was complete, we had to prep the walls for cabinets.

Our beautiful finished floor! Notice the intricate design of a "path" in diagonals outlined by square tiles. We also want to give a special shout out to the Ranes, who let us borrow their tile saw and inspired us with their kitchen makeover.

Finally our appliances arrived and our upper cabinets were installed. BEAUTIFUL!
SO now all we need to do is install our dishwasher and garbage disposal, add counter tops, paint and figure out how to fix the wall of glue that doesn't have any cabinets to hide it ... Definitely a work in progress, but worth it!
14 comments:
The room is looking awesome! Those Wortley's are soo talented!
Liz & Don,
I am so impressed with your handyman skills. Your kitchen looks amazing. I can not wait until I can see you home in person. You definately have poured a lot of love into your place already.
Cathy
Wow...you guys did a great job. It looks great. We're glad the tile saw was helpful:) I can't wait to see it all in person. That stove/oven looks pretty awesome too. Does it have 5 burners? I want that.
It looks incredible! I can't believe you two did that on your own, very impressive. My husband is the same way.. he would have figured out some complicated design, and it most likely would have turned out perfect as well. You've got to love 'em. :)
I really don't know how you do it all, though, I would be impossible to work with during the day with only 4 hours of sleep each night. You are a superwoman.
The floor looks so NICE!Can not believe that you two did it all by yourself! May I call you Mr and Mrs. Incredibles? Haha. Can not wait to visit you! When will my bed will ready?
It looks amazing!!
That's some pretty good looking tile! Kudos to you guys for the hard work and creativity involved. I'm glad the house is coming together so nicely!
Oh my Heck this looks awesome! I can't wait to come stay in the Attic!! :)
This is sooooooooo impressive and you got a kitchen with stainless appliance! so jealous and so proud of you two !!!
Wow, what gorgeous work! Impressive
Wow Liz that is an awesome improvement great job Wortley's! Chels
Wow! I knew you Wortley's could bake some amazing cakes, but this is a whole new level of impressive. Nice!
I saw this floor and it is the bomb. While it was done by the time I got there, I'd like to pretend I had a hand in it because they know I would mock them if it wasn't finished by the time we got there.
Wow Liz! I'm so impressed. You've worked so hard and you have such a handy husband. Congrats on a great place!
Post a Comment